What is pizza flavoured yet loaded with fibre, proteins, anti-oxidants, folate and so much more? It’s zucchini pizza boats! This delish, goodness-filled pizza boats are perfect for those on a Paleo, gluten-free and low-carb diet. These pizza boats make a quick & healthy lunch or dinner; it is a great way to make your kids eat veggies too.
- Zucchini – 2
- Onion – ½, thinly sliced
- Tomato – ½, deseeded and finely chopped
- Capsicum – ¼, finely chopped
- Sliced black olives (optional) – 1 tblspn
- Pizza sauce – ¼ cup
- Shredded low-fat pizza cheese – ¼ cup
- Pizza seasoning/ dried mixed herbs (I used a mix of thyme, oregano, basil and chilli flakes) – 2 to 3 tspns
- Salt and pepper – To season
- Oil – To spray
- Cut the top off the zucchini. Slice the zucchini into halves lengthwise.
- Use a spoon and scoop out the fleshy part of the zucchini halves.
- Turn it skin-side up, and using a peeler remove one layer from the middle.
- This will allow the ‘boats’ to stand and keep them from toppling.
- Pre-heat oven at 200*c for 5 minutes.
- Smear some pizza sauce on the scooped portion of the zucchini boat.
- Place the scooped out bits of the zucchini and the chopped veggies into the zucchini boats.
- Optionally, you could add more pizza sauce. Sprinkle some cheese, seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the stuffed zucchini boats on them, and pop the tray into the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow it to bake till the zucchini becomes soft and till the cheese melts.
- Serve warm.
- Add other vegetables of your choice.
- You could mix a few types of cheese for sprinkling.