I couldn’t be more further from the truth! I am going to blame it on my untrained palate that was treated to only spicy & savoury meal first thing in the morning.
Thankfully, that has changed and now smoothies have become a frequent part of my meal plans. I enjoy the convenience of them but most of all I love how I can pack in more raw fruits and vegetables in my day in smoothies.
Here is one of them I love and include often each week. Don’t be put off by the thought of a green smoothie; it is delicious, nutritious and family friendly. If you’re trying to convince your kids, tell them it’s Hulk juice or something like that! 😉
- Baby spinach – 1 tightly packed cup
- Green apple or Granny Smith apple – 1, cored
- Coconut water – 250 ml
- Frozen banana – 1/2
- Mint – 4 sprigs
- Almond meal – 1 tablespoon*
- Frozen banana is amazing to thicken smoothies and cold beverages. Chuck over ripe or browned bananas in a freezer-safe container and use it as required.
- If you’re allergic to bananas or don’t have it frozen, you may replace it with 1/4 of an avocado to make the smoothie creamy.
- *To make it more ‘bulky’ you could add a serving of plant-based protein powder (or whey protein powder if you prefer the dairy alternative).
- You may add sweeteners if you like but the apple takes care of the sweetening bit.