When in Chennai, a trip to Egmore and the street-side sandwich stalls have become a sort of ritual. Can you blame me though? This sandwich habit was one I picked up back in the day, when I was a reporter and these tiny sandwich stalls would be lifesavers to grab a quick bite. It also helped greatly that my office was conveniently located close to these stalls. Each one of us in the staff room would take turns to order sandwich for the other reporters working long, tedious hours.
The humble bread slices, smeared with the chutney and a combination of vegetables and the occasional omelet is quite the meal, and would beat a fancy meal or thaali by a mile.
Here is a quick, tasty and wholesome sandwich, perfect for breakfast or lunch. With very few ingredients going into it, this sandwich can be a lifesaver for your workday mornings. To make it even easier, prep for the sandwich the night before.
PS: The chutney recipe was given by a sandwich vendor himself 🙂
To make 2 sandwiches:
- Wholemeal sandwich (use any bread of your choice) – 4 slices
- Butter (optional) – To spread
- Sandwich chutney – To spread Click here
- Potato – 1 boiled, peeled and sliced
- Onion (small) – 1 sliced into thin rounds
- Cucumber – ½, peeled and thinly sliced
- Tomato – 1, thinly sliced
- Cheese slices – As required
- Salt & pepper – To season
- Cut the corners of the bread, if you like.
- Spread desired amount of butter on one side of each bread slice.
- Smear the chutney well.
- Now, arrange the veggies according to your taste on two slices.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Close the sandwich with the remaining slices and serve.