This is a tasty soup combining three very nutritious veggies. Rich in iron, folate, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, minerals, this soup is a great way to include greens in your diet. This fortified soup is ideal for weight watchers and those looking to make a healthy addition to their diet.
- Spinach – 2 large cups, tightly packed
- Mushrooms – 1 cup, cleaned and sliced
- Leeks – 2, ends, light green and white parts trimmed; roughly chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Potato – 1, peeled
- Green chillies (optional) – 2
- Water/ Stock – 4 cups
- Salt and pepper – To taste
- Oil – 1 tblspns.
- Heat oil in a pot, add the garlic and leeks.
- Sauté for a minute.
- Toss in potatoes and cook till it is tender.
- Toss in the mushrooms and green chillies, and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Pour the stock/water into the pot and bring it to a boil.
- Once it boils, cover the pot and let it simmer till the potatoes are soft.
- Put a fork through the potatoes to see if they are soft; if not soft enough, allow it to simmer a little longer.
- Add the spinach leaves, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Ensure the spinach leaves don’t wilt.
- Turn the stove off.
- Use a stick blender, and blend it smooth.
- If you’re using a blender, wait for the soup to cool.
- Season and serve hot with bread sticks.
- Replace leeks with onions.
- Skip mushrooms if you do not enjoy its taste.
- Add a little cumin and/or coriander powder to spice the soup up.