Mangoes are a very versatile fruit. Savoury or sweet, juice or salads, they work very well. It is called it the ‘King of Fruits’ for a reason. This spicy mango shots is a hot and sweet reminder of the summer that is fast approaching in many parts of the world. As for me, I am slowly bidding farewell to summer here bracing myself for colder months; savouring every summer fruit I can before they are off the shelves for the year.
These non-alcoholic shots make a great drink for parties and weekend barbeques.
- Sweet, ripe mangoes – 3
- Chilli powder/ cayenne pepper – ¼ tspn or less
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Water – 1 cup
- Ice cubes (optional) – 1 handful
- Remove the skin from the mangoes, scoop out all the flesh from the fruit, and place them in the blending jar.
- Add the remaining ingredients except water and blend well.
- Add water depending on how smooth and dilute you want the drink to be. Once adding the required amount of water, blend once again till all the ingredients are combined.
- Serve chilled in shot glasses with a sprinkle of chilli powder/ cayenne pepper on top.
- For an intense mango flavour, use mango juice instead of water. However, if you are watching your sugar intake avoid adding the juice and stick with water for blending.
- Adjust the spice levels according to your preference.
- For a hint of freshness, blend with a few mint leaves.