Red hot soup it is for Valentine’s Day! The smoky, sweet and sour taste of roasted capsicum and tomatoes in the soup is perfect for the day of love. This healthy and yummy soup will make your meal a little bit more special.
- Capsicum (Red) – 2, deseeded, deveined and cut into large pieces
- Tomatoes – 3, cut into large pieces
- Cumin powder – ¼ tspn
- Chilli powder – 1 tspn
- Paprika/ degi mirch (for colour) – ½ tspn
- Onion – 1, peeled and roughly chopped
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Water/ Stock – 4 cups
- Olive oil – 1 tblspn.+ some to bake
- Salt and pepper – To season
- Pre heat oven at 200ºc.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the capsicum pieces and tomatoes on the baking tray.
- Spray oil on the vegetables.
- In an aluminium foil, place unpeeled garlic cloves and spray oil in it as well.
- Wrap the foil and place it along with the capsicum and tomato pieces on the baking tray.
- Pop the baking tray into the pre-heated oven at 220*c for 30 minutes.
- Halfway through the baking process, turn the veggies to ensure it roasted on both sides.
- Once cooled, peel the skin of the tomatoes and capsicum (optional).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil on a pot, add the onion pieces, remove the garlic cloves from the aluminum foil and squeeze out the roasted garlic.
- Sauté the onions and roasted garlic for a minute.
- Toss in the roasted capsicum and tomatoes.
- Add the dry spices and mix well.
- Pour stock and let the mixture simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the stove off and use a hand blender to blend the soup to a smooth mixture.
- If you are using a blender, allow the soup to cool before blending. Warm the soup before serving.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- The soup is ready to serve.