Bless the Italians for creating pasta! The oh-so-versatile noodle is a lifesaver in the kitchen. It works great as mains for dinner/lunch, salads and soups.
There are thousands of things you could make with pasta. Soupy, saucy, dry, hot or cold, take your pick. Today, though, I am making a stir fried vegetables and pasta mix.
This recipe idea comes from my sister dearest who made me want to try making a pasta dish that was not saucy or creamy. This is one power-packed meal with nutritious vegetables and wholesome pasta.
Ideal for lunchboxes and for quick weeknight dinners, this pasta could be frozen for up to a week for make-ahead meals. How convenient, right?
You’re welcome. 😉
Play around with this recipe, add vegetables and condiments of your choice, and you will have a pasta dish to love.
- Pasta – 2 cups (I used the shell variety, use any of you choice)
- Water – To boil the pasta
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Capsicum (coloured) – ¼ each
- Brussels sprouts – 5
- Spring onions/green onions/scallions – 2 stalks, white and green parts
- Spinach – A small handful
- Fresh basil and parsley (Use 2 tspns dried if you don’t have fresh) – ½ tblspn
- Oil – 1 tblspn
- Chilli flakes (optional) – 1 tspn
- Salt and pepper – To taste
- Ketchup/passata – 2 tblspns
- Cheese (optional) – To taste
- Clean and chop the vegetables. Keep aside. Reserve some of the spring onion green trimmings for garnish before serving.
- If you’re using fresh herbs, chop them up and keep aside.
- Cook pasta according to pasta instructions. Drain, and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped garlic and onion. Cook until fragrant.
- Toss in the spring onions and cook for about a minute.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, sauté for a few minutes.
- Follow it up by adding the capsicum.
- Mix the vegetables well.
- Add the ingredients listed under ‘Condiments’. Sprinkle a little water and mix it all to ensure the vegetables are coated in the condiments. At this stage, add the dried herbs (if you are using them).
- Check if the vegetables are cooked; ensure they are not overcooked as it can turn the whole dish soggy.
- Finally add the spinach and a part of the chopped fresh herbs. Allow the greens to wilt a bit.
- Now, it is time to add the pasta to the vegetables.
- Combine all the ingredients well to get a good mix of vegetables and pasta.
- Sprinkle some cheese and the remaining fresh herbs.
- Serve warm.
- Add/omit vegetables based on your preference.
- You could add flavoured salts and other spices to make the dish more interesting.
- Store in a clean, dry and freezer/microwave-safe box to use this for later.
- Take the heat down if you are making this for children.