Juicy, sweet oranges add a burst of freshness and marry well with spicy and nutty fennel. With complementing ingredients like feta, fresh salad greens and onions, this salad is a sensational addition to a great meal.
It is sweet, salty, zesty and nutty all at once.
- 2 Oranges
- 1/2 a bulb of Fennel
- 2 cups Salad greens
- 1 Onion
- 50 gm Feta
- 1/2 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Chilli lime pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Salt and pepper – To taste
- Peel and slice onions thinly.
- Trim the bottom and leafy bits from the fennel bulb.
- Chop ½ a bulb of fennel in anyway you like them. I like them thinly sliced.
- Zest about 1 teaspoon worth of orange.
- Cut the skin from the oranges. Deseed them and cut them into tiny segments.
- Reserve ½ an orange and extract the juice from it.
- In a small cup add the extracted orange juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Give it a good mix. Keep aside.
In a large salad bowl, add the salad greens.
- To it, add the segmented oranges, sliced onions, sliced fennel and orange zest.
- Drizzle some of the dressing that is prepared.
- Toss the salad well to combine all the ingredients.
- Sprinkle crumbed feta and some of the chilli lime pumpkin seeds.
- Serve fresh.
- Add/omit ingredients depending on your preference.
- You could also add some chopped walnuts or almonds.
- You could make another dressing of your choice if you do not prefer the orange dressing.