This salad makes a complete meal, and checks all the boxes for essential nutrients for the day such as vitamins, good fats, carbs, protein and so much more. Besides being a nutritious salad, it is super tasty and quite simple to make. The nutty-sweet taste salad is just what the doctor ordered. 🙂
- Yellow pumpkin – 1/4 kg, peeled and cut into little cubes
- Walnuts – 12 to 15 pieces
- Pine nuts – 1 tblspn
- Salad greens – 1 large bowl
- Feta cheese – 5 to 10 small cubes
- Sundried tomatoes – 1 cup
- Balsamic vinegar (or any vinegar of your choice) – 1 tblspn
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tblspns. + some to brush or spray for roasting
- Salt & pepper – To season
- Pre heat oven at 180*c.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and arrange the pumpkin cubes. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Spray or drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the pumpkin cubes. Pop the tray into the pre-heated oven at 200*c for 15 minutes.
- Halfway through the roasting process, turn the sides of the pumpkin to allow even roasting.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, add the walnuts and pine nuts in a pan and toast them slightly till they release their own oils.
- Ensure the nuts are toasty and crunchy and not burnt.
- Once done, keep aside.
- In a small cup add the balasamic vinegar and oil.
- Give it a mix till the two ingredients have combined well. Keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the salad greens, sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese and toasted nuts.
- Toss in the roasted pumpkin cubes.
- Check how well the pumpkin cubes have been seasoned and add more salt and pepper accordingly.
- Drizzle the dressing and toss once again to combine all the ingredients.
- Serve warm.
- If you like butternut squash other squash varieties, use them instead of yellow pumpkin.
- Halloumi cheese makes a great addition to the salad in place of feta.
- Roast a few capsicum pieces along with the pumpkin for variety and added sweetness.