Often, I look for healthy snacking options especially for those post-workout hunger pangs. On one of my grocery runs, I saw these dates, almond and coconut balls; not only were they pricey but also contained obscene amounts of glucose and sugar in it.
Although very appetising, the thought of consuming sugar in that quantity put me off. So, I decided to make my own version with no added sugar. The necessary sweetness comes from the amazing dates.
With just two ingredients, this is a quick snack that can be fixed in minutes. You can store it an airtight container in the fridge for use later. This is perfect for pre/post-workout snacking, kids’ lunch boxes and those midnight sweet carvings.
Note: If you are diabetic or insulin resistant, go easy on these.
- Dates – 15 (I used medjool dates, use any soft date varieties)
- Shredded desiccated coconut – 2 heaped tablespoons + 1 heaped tblpsn
- Remove the pits from the dates.
- Put 1 tablespoon of desiccated coconut in a plate.
- Chop the dates roughly into little pieces and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut into the mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients to combine well.
- Make little balls out of the mixed ingredients.
- Roll them on the desiccated coconut that we placed in the plate.
- Put them in a clean, dry airtight container. Consume as required.
- Add chopped nuts and raisins for variety.
- Replace dates with semi dried apricots.