How about a festive looking and great tasting salad for your holiday party table? This crunchy salad is super simple to put together. Rendering the aroma and flavour to it are ground cinnamon, cumin and coriander seeds.
- Carrots – 1 peeled & julienned or grated
- Beetroot – 1 peeled & julienned or grated
- Lemon juice – 1 tblspn
- Cumin powder – ¼ tspn
- Coriander powder – ¼ tspn
- Cinnamon powder – 1 pinch
- Chilli/ cayenne powder – ¼ tspn
- Salad greens (optional) – 1 handful
- Oil – 1 tspn
- Salt – To taste
- Heat oil in a pan, turn the stove off and toss in the dry spices. Give it a mix. Keep aside. This step is completely optional. You could just add the dry spices and oil straight into the salad instead.
- But I can assure you that heating the oil helps absorb the flavours of the spices better Plus, it tastes great!
- In a large bowl, add the julienned/ grated carrots and beet.
- Add salt, and lemon juice; drizzle the spice-infused oil. Combine the ingredients well.
- While serving, place the salad greens and assemble the salad you mixed on top of it. Drizzle a little more of the oil (if you have any left).
- You could introduce a little sweetness in the salad and raisins or a little honey.
- I preferred the vegetables julienned because the salad may get a little soggy when grated. If you lack the patience to julienne, simply grate them.