Pasta-based salads are a favourite with a lot of people. In fact, the common sight at salad bars is people indulging in a large serving of pasta salad with that extra helping or two of mayonnaise/aoli/sour cream.
How cool would it be to have a not-so-fatty version of the salad? Before you utter ‘alas’, let me assure you there is a way to enjoy the salad without worrying about it being too rich or fatty.
You can now savour the same creamy salad with loads of vegetables & a flavourful low-fat, creamy yoghurt dressing. Add as many salad vegetables you like and top it with the dressing for that ‘ah-mazing’ salad.
- Pasta – 1 cup
- Low fat Greek yoghurt – ¼ cup (any regular or low-fat yoghurt works well )
- Onion – 1, peeled and roughly chopped
- Cherry/grape or regular tomatoes – 1 handful/1; halved or roughly chopped depending on the type of tomato you choose
- Cucumber – 1, roughly chopped
- Capsicum – ½, deseeded and roughly chopped
- Salad greens – 1 large handful
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tblspn
- Cumin powder/ground cumin – ¼ tspn
- Red chilli flakes – ½ tspn
- Fresh or dried herbs – 1 tblspn
- Salt and pepper – To season
- Choose short pasta varieties like macaroni, fusilli, penne, farfalle, rigatoni, etc.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain the water completely.
- In a large bowl, add the pasta and drizzle some olive oil over it. This will help keep the pasta from sticking.
- Add the vegetables to the pasta. Give it a mix, and refrigerate it.
- While the pasta is cooling, prepare the creamy yoghurt dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk the yoghurt smooth. Add the ground cumin, salt, pepper, herbs and chilli flakes.
- Give it all a good mix. Ensure the dressing is free of lumps.
- Pour the dressing over the refrigerated salad. Mix to combine all the ingredients.
- Put the salad back in the fridge to cool.
- Serve chilled with a layer of salad greens.
Note: This pasta can be served cold or in room temperature. Skip the refrigeration process if you don’t like your salad cold.
- Vegetables like boiled corn kernels/peas, carrots, cabbage and beetroot taste great with this salad.
- Adjust the chilli flake or cumin powder quantity depending on your preference.
- I used chilli flavoured extra virgin oil, use plain or other flavoured extra virgin olive oil.
- Use finely chopped garlic or garlic powder for added flavour.