Who would have thought me of all the people would enjoy sweet breakfasts! True to my Indian roots, my first preference for breakfast is always something savoury. I was raised on a hearty dose of idly, dosai, upma and the likes for the first meal of the day. So, can you blame me? Ask any Indian and I guarantee that the idea of a sweet breakfast would have shocked them no end!
Well, times have changed, and people have embraced the idea of a hearty mix for the meals. Here we are with trained palates and all, I find myself often picking sweet breakfasts. In fact, I love the variety and being multi-dimensional with my meals.
My non-savoury breakfast options typically include a mix of smoothies, chia pudding and my new favourite granola! Of all the breakfast options, I find the granola the easiest to put together. Besides being ridiculously convenient, these are great tasting too. I find it super handy to carry it as snacks for those 3 P.M snack cravings when I am about and about.
This low-carb granola is the bomb and it will beat the store-bought ones by a mile! Think of all the sugar and nasties you are not putting your body through by making your own granola.
This crunchy and convenient brekkie has the strong potential to make this savoury-breakfast-loving gal a convert! I intend to play around with flavours to add a bit more variety to my mornings!
Makes 12 to 15 servings
- Almond flakes – ½ cup
- Cashews chopped – ½ cup
- Walnuts chopped – ½ cup
- Shredded coconut –
- Pumpkin seeds – ¼ cup
- Sunflower seeds – ¼ cup
- Almond flour – 2 heaped tspn
- Chia seeds – 2 heaped tspn
- Erythritol – 1 heaped tblspn
- Dry ginger – 1 tspn
- Nutmeg powder – ½ tspn
- Allspice (optional) – ¼ tspn
- Coconut oil – 2 tblspn
- Vanilla essence – ¼ tspn
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Pre-heat oven at 150°c
- Melt the coconut oil over the stove top or in the microwave.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients.
- Using a clean spatula, mix well.
- Into the dry mixture, add the vanilla essence.
- Gradually pour the melted coconut oil and give it a mix.
- Mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Spread the granola mixture thinly on the lined baking tray.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the ingredients are golden brown.
- Once done, let it cool completely.
- Transfer the granola into a clean dry jar.
- While the granola is vegan, you may choose to consume this with dairy.
- The granola stays fresh for up to 2 weeks un-refrigerated.
- Use this like cereal with your non-dairy or dairy milk.
- Top it over your smoothie bowls or smoothie to add that crunch
- Serve with yoghurt and fresh fruits. My absolute favourite!
- Serving size can be anywhere from 1 tblspn to ¼ cup. Get creative with your pairings!
- While this is vegan, you may choose to swap out coconut oil for butter.
- This is a sugar-free and grain-free version, use honey, sweet syrups or other grains of your choice.
- The recipe is created to suit a keto and/or low-carb lifestyle. Add or adjust quantities to suit your taste.