Jalapeño poppers were this deliciously mysterious thing until I saw the item on the menu at Oporto. After years of remaining under the rocks about this deliciousness, I naturally had to try it out. It was a treat for the palate!
Stuffed with cheese, deep fried and crispy with the spice kick. Need I say more? I was sold! Needless to say, this has sort of become a default order at Oporto or any other place that serves it. Who ever thought of putting cheese into jalapeños deserves a bloody medal! Sadly, I don’t get to savour one of my favourite sides often these days since adopting a low-carb lifestyle.
I don’t know what it is with jalapeño poppers and me getting on the train late. So, what if I am not able to enjoy the store-bought ones? I am surely able to make my own at home to suit my macro goals! *Insert face palm* Well, here we are a few attempts later. I am now able to enjoy low-carb and keto compliant jalapeño poppers without having to worry about overdoing my macros.
Thus, began Nanditha’s mission to create homemade keto friendly jalapeño poppers. Working out the ingredients was the easiest part. I can’t say the same for perfecting the recipe. Sometimes, the cheese proportions were off; or bake it at a temperature too low or high; I have even been left with burnt cheese on some occasions. It took at least a dozen tries before I gave it my tick of approval. It still lacks the crispiness of the deep-fried, store-bought variants yet scrumptious.
After many attempts at making the recipe work, I’m happy to share it with you.
These moreish Jalapeño Poppers are my favourite side for lunch, but I absolutely delight in having this with my Keto Bulletproof Chai for those 3 P.M. cravings. Hits the spot!
Makes: 16 Poppers
- Fresh jalapeño – 8
- Cream cheese at room temperature – 1/2 cup
- Parmesan cheese (grated) – ¼ cup
- Mozarella cheese (grated) – ¼ cup
- Garlic powder – 1tsp.
- Chilli flakes (optional) – 1 heaped tsp.
- Salt – To taste
- Cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds and optionally the spines.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°c
- Line a baking tray.
- In a bowl, add the parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Add salt and garlic to the cheese and mix well. Set the cheese mix aside.
- Fill the hollow jalapeños with cream cheese.
- Arrange the filled jalapeños on the lined baking tray.
- Top each of the filled jalapeños with the cheese mix.
- Sprinkle chilli flakes on the top.
- Baked the cheese stuffed jalapeños for 20 minutes at 200°c or until the cheese is golden and melted.
- Once done, allow to cool and then serve the jalapeño poppers as a snack or with a meal.
- These proportions are suited for ketogenic and low-carb lifestyles. Adjust the quantities to suit your dietary needs.
- Play around with the flavours, add fresh/dried herbs or other spices to jazz up the poppers.
- Add or omit ingredients to your liking.
- Oven times and performance vary. Adjust timing and temperature accordingly.