Cauliflower & Broccoli in Creamy Parmesan Sauce is a lip smackingly delicious low-carb/keto friendly dish. A dish so creamy and cheesy, even those who wince at the thought of broccoli’s existence in the world would want to give this a try!
Cream and cheese in one dish? Sign me up, please! It is one culinary marriage that is pure magic! Add to that herbs, onion and garlic. Mmmmm…
I often find myself going down the rabbit hole that is Pinterest. What a magical world to get lost in! So many new recipes and things to explore. I once found an incredibly attractive picture of a chicken dish cooked in cream with spinach. I read through the recipe and found it fairly simple and easily adaptable into a vegetarian version. This recipe is inspired by that dish I found in my favourite places to get lost in.
Putting a vegetarian spin on that dish was a no-brainer, especially so because it ticks a lot of boxes for low-carb compliance. It’s hard to go wrong with ingredients like cauliflower, broccoli, cream and parmesan cheese in one dish. So, here we are.
Cauliflower & Broccoli in Creamy Parmesan Sauce is a meal prep dream come true and bonus points for it being mega yummy! A treat for the eyes and tummy.
Check out some of my favourite keto + low-carb meals:
- Cauliflower florets – 100g
- Broccoli florets – 75g
- Onion – 30g finely chopped
- Garlic – 4 cloves finely chopped
- Sundried tomatoes (optional) – 10 to 12 pieces
- Heavy cream/ thickened cream/ full-fat cream – ½ cup
- Grated parmesan cheese – 1/3 cup
- Chilli flakes – 2 heaped tsps.
- Mixed herbs or any dried herbs of your choice – 1 tsp.
- Fresh chives (optional) chopped – 1 tsp.
- Olive oil – ½ tbp. Or use the oil in the sundried tomatoes jar
- Salt & crushed pepper – As required
- Water – to blanch the vegetables and to thin the sauce
- Boil required amount of water to immerse the cauliflower and broccoli florets.
- Place cleaned and trimmed cauliflower and broccoli florets in a heat resistant bowl.
- Pour the boiled water over the florets. Ensure they are covered completely in water.
- Cover and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Drain the water and set the cauliflower and broccoli florets.
- Heat oil in a saucepan. I used the oil from the sundried tomato jar as its quite flavourful and herby.
- Sweat the chopped onion and garlic cloves.
- Sprinkle the dried herbs and chilli flakes.
- Give it a mix.
- Pour the cream.
- Add the grated cheese.
- Mix well to combine the ingredients.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and crushed pepper.
- Add the blanched sundried tomatoes and cauliflower & broccoli florets.
- Stir in with the creamy sauce.
- Allow the vegetables to cook and thicken in the sauce for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove once the sauce has thickened.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of chopped chives.
- Use butter instead of oil if you like.
- This works well with the addition of Brussels sprouts
- Add a mix of other cheeses to make it extra cheesy and all sorts of amazing.
- Add/omit ingredients to suit your preference.
- The recipe is created to suit a keto and/or low-carb lifestyle. Add or adjust quantities to suit your taste.