This has to be one of the easiest salads to make; it is a no-fuss salad that can be made with whatever ingredients you have in stock. Another reason why this salad gets a big thumbs up is because it tastes great with just about any dressing.
I have used fresh and simple vegetables in the garden salad with a spicy & tangy dressing. This garden veg salad is lovely for lunch on warm days, and even works well as a refreshing accompaniment for meals.
- Cucumber – 1
- Onion – 1/2
- Tomato – 1
- Iceberg lettuce – 2 big handfuls
- Black olives – 3 tblspns
- Capsicum – 1/2, de-seeded
For the dressing:
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tblspn
- Lemon juice – 2 tspns
- Chilli flakes – 1/2 tspn
- Salt – To taste
- Pepper – To taste
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients under ‘For the Dressing’. Keep aside.
- Cut the vegetables however big or small you like them. Add the cut vegetables into a large mixing bowl with the lettuce leaves. Toss to mix the vegetables well.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Mix to combine all the ingredients. Season with more salt or pepper, as required.
- Serve fresh with/as a meal.
- You could add, omit or replace the vegetables suggested here.
- Replace the suggested dressing with any dressing of your choice. If you are watching your calories, avoid fatty dressing like mayonnaise or the cheese-based ones.
- Crumble some feta, paneer or halloumi cheese for added flavour.