Summer may be my most favourite season in Australia simply for its abundance of summer fruits, especially melons. It is easy to put together a salad with the wide variety of fruits available here. I have combined three different types of melon, Granny Smith apples, mango and lemon-mint granita for a great tasting summer salad.
It is a salad that feels like a sorbet, slushie and ice lolly all rolled into one. 🙂
For the granita:
- Lemon – 2
- Water – 2 cups
- Sugar – 4 heaped teaspoons
For the salad:
- Water melon, honeydew melon and rocket melon – ½ each, peeled and sliced into half moons
- Granny Smith apple – 1, sliced thinly
- Mango – 1, sliced thinly
- Mint – 1 sprig, finely chopped
To make the lemon-mint granita:
- Squeeze out the juice from 2 lemons and put in a saucepan, add the water and sugar. Mix well.
- Place the saucepan on the stove on a low flame.
- Keep stirring till the sugar dissolves. Once done, remove from flame and add the mint leaves.
- Stir the mixture. Now, transfer the liquid into a freezer-safe flat container.
- Place that in the freezer for 3-4 hours.
- Once in every 45 minutes, using a fork, scrape the ice from the corners towards you.
For the fruit salad:
- In a platter or a large bowl, assemble the fruits as desired. Add the chopped mint leaves.
- Place the granita on the salad when you are about to serve.
- As you serve, scoop out some granita and place it over the fruit salad.
- Add or omit fruits based on availability or choice. Fruits like kiwi, pineapple, peach and nectarine taste good.
- Use lime in place of lemon, if you prefer.
- Replace sugar with sweetener or honey.