This flavourful salad is a combination of fresh and juicy vegetables topped with spicy herbed breadcrumbs.
It is an improvised version of the panzanella salad; stale bread or any bread along with tomatoes and other vegetables go into the making of the panzanella salad. Instead of using rustic bread varieties, I have used homemade spicy herbed breadcrumbs to add some crunch to a simple salad.
- Tomato – 2
- Onion – 1
- Cucumber – 1
- Capsicum – 1, de-seeded
- Salad greens – 1 handful
- Baby spinach ( optional) – 1 small handful
- Spicy herbed breadcrumbs – 3 tblspns. Recipe here
- Salt and pepper – To taste
- Balsamic vinegar – 1 tblspn
- Extra virgin olive oil – ¼ tblspn
- Chop vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Keep aside.
- In a small cup, add the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Mix them well. Keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the salad greens and spinach. Top it off with the chopped vegetables.
- Drizzle the salad with the olive oil and vinegar mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Give it all a good mix.
- Finally, sprinkle the spicy herbed breadcrumbs and serve fresh.
- Add/omit any vegetables depending on your preference.
- Use a vinegar of your choice.
- If you are making this salad ahead. Prepare the veggies and dressing separately. Mix them all when you are ready to serve. Add the herbed breadcrumbs just before you’re about to serve as it can get soggy.