Bread? Check. Cheese? Check. Triple cheese? Yes, yes, yes! Chillies? Hell yeah!
I enjoy toasts or open sandwiches and when toasts come with the works, there is no room for restraint. Flexing that willpower can wait. The combination of chillies and cheese on bread is something out of this world; and then add to that garlic and butter. Just like that everything around me seems alright.
Breakfast, lunch or snack, the Cheesy Chilli Garlic Toasts packs a punch. Every bite scrumptious and potent, you’ll want to come back for more!
- Bread slices 6
- Grated mozzarella cheese – 1 cup
- Grated cheddar – ½ cup
- Grated parmesan (optional) – 1/3 cup
- Green chillies – 7 to 10 pieces, finely chopped
- Chilli flakes – 1 tbsp.
- Salt – As required
For the Garlic Butter:
- Garlic – 4 cloves, finely chopped
- Salted/ lightly salted butter (in room temperature) – 2 Tbsp.
- In a mixing bowl, add the finely chopped garlic and butter. Mix until combined.
- In a bowl, add all the cheeses and mix well.
- Line a baking tray.
- Pre-heat oven at 180°c.
- Spread the garlic butter on one side of the bread slices and keep aside.
- Arrange the buttered bread slices on the lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle the chopped green chillies on the buttered slices.
- Ensure the chillies are spread out and not concentrated on one area.
- Sprinkle some salt on each of the bread slices.
- Generously top each slice with the mix of cheeses.
- Sprinkle some chilli flakes.
- Place the tray in the pre-heated oven at 180°c for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Once done, allow the cheesy toasts to cool.
- Serve warm as breakfast or a snack.
- This is intended to be super spicy. That said, adjust the spice levels to suit your taste.
- I sometimes add fresh chives to the garlic butter for herby flavour. Add fresh or dried herbs to the butter to make it more flavourful.
- Play around with the flavours by mixing other types of cheese.
- Use any type of bread you like. I enjoy the Pane di Casa bread from Baker’s Delight.
Don’t have an oven? No problem! Just place a fully loaded bread slice on a heated pan. Cover and cook until the cheese has melted. Repeat for the remaining bread slices.