Bread Upma (A bread-based savoury dish)
This is one of the easiest dishes to make for a lazy weekend breakfast or for a quick-fix weeknight dinner.
This super easy upma is my go-to dish when a pack of bread is nearing the end of its shelf life. It is also a good way to use up things when you’re clearing your pantry and fridge.
Bread upma can be made with any veggies of your choice; I’ve kept it pretty basic as I did not restock my fridge.
- Bread slices – 7
- Onion- 1, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1, deseeded, finely chopped
- Capsicum – 1/4, deseeded and chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
- Ginger – a small piece, peeled and finely chopped
- Green chillies – 2, deseeded and chopped
- Chopped coriander leaves – 1 tblspn
- Chaat masala – 1/2 tspn
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chilli powder – 1 tspn
- Garam masala – 1 tspn
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Oil – 2 tspns
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Water – To soften the vegetables
- Lemon juice – 1 tblspn
- Salt – To taste
- Sev (optional)
- Cut bread into small cubes, and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, and add mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add asafoetida.
- Toss in the ginger and garlic pieces. Sauté till the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Add the green chillies & chopped onion, and cook till onions turns soft.
- Once cooked, add the chopped tomatoes. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- To the mixture, add the dry spices except salt.
- Mix to combine the ingredients. Sprinkle a little water to let the tomatoes turn slightly mushy.
- Once the tomatoes have turned soft and mushy, add the capsicum pieces.
- Add salt.
- Mix everything well. Sprinkle a little more water, cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- After the said time, add the bread pieces.
- Give it a good mix and ensure the bread is coated in the cooked veggies.
- Allow this to cook for another minute.
- Turn the stove off.
- Pour the lemon juice over the upma and sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot, topped with some sev.
- Use any type of bread. I have used multigrain bread slices.
- I have used red capsicum, use green, yellow or a mix of 3 capsicums.
- Use veggies of your choice to make the upma more nutritious.
- The same goes with spices; add or omit spices depending on your preference.