Lassi is a yoghurt-based drink that can be consumed sweet or savoury. It is a popular drink in the Indian sub-continent, and comes in so many variations that you’ll be spoilt for choice!
This quick & refreshing drink is easy to blend, and is very tasty. The sweetness of the yoghurt, the mild sourness from the apples, and the spicy hit from ginger is a burst of flavours.
This is also a great way to include healthy ingredients in a drink form. Apples are known for its high fibre and vitamin content. It is an excellent source of minerals and vitamins. Yoghurt is known for its calcium and probiotic goodness. Ginger is one of nature’s best immunity-boosting foods. It is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Several studies suggest that ginger plays a vital role in reducing high blood pressure and in reducing the effects of migraine.
When all this goodness comes in a tasty drink form, it is just so hard to resist.
- Granny Smith apples (or any variety) – 2, peeled and core removed
- Ginger – ½ inch piece, peeled and grated
- Low fat plain yoghurt (you could use full cream or no fat versions too) – 2 cups
- Honey – 1 tblspn.
- In a blender add all the ingredients.
- Optionally, you could add a few ice cubes. Blend them all together till a thick and smooth consistency is achieved.
- Serve chilled.
- You could use Greek yoghurt in place of plain yoghurt.
- I peeled the apples because I dislike the skin fragments in the drink. You could however choose to keep them depending on your preference.
- You could skip the honey and add caster sugar/molasses/ sugar/ other sweeteners of your choice. Or you could skip the sweet ingredients and make the drink with the remaining ingredients.
- Add water if you do not like your lassi too thick.